The view from the mountain
The garden and nearby fields are still giving up their summer bounty here on the mountain, even though the maples are a fiery red. For the last Moonth I have had goldenrod flowers steeping in apple cider vinegar. The vinegar builds the immune system and, like local raw honey, helps to prevent allergies and even seasonal depression according to some. I will use it to make salad dressings all winter.
I have gathered, peeled and frozen a fresh batch of green walnut hulls and a bag of horse chestnuts for use in salve making. I bought several pounds of fresh bee’s wax from a local bee keeper to add to the salves. Bee’s wax and honey have amazing medicinal properties, for healing of wounds and skin conditions.
There are still asters to be found in the fields, ranging from bright purple to lavender and white. My roses are still blooming and I am looking forward to a few rose hips in the coming months.
I stopped composting anything but vegetable scraps, because two years ago something killed my cat and neighbor’s cats. I have not seen or heard a coyote or coydog, nor seen a raccoon or fox in the yard since. Live and learn.
I am thrilled to announce that my newest book The Secret Medicines of Your Kitchen is now available for pre-order! You will get 10% off if you order now. Remember, Yule is coming!
The Secret Medicines of Your Kitchen is filled with recipes and home remedies that you can make from the foods and spices ALREADY on your kitchen shelf. In these economic times these simple, inexpensive and effective home remedies are very much needed.
And finally, the election. We in the USA are confronted with a stark choice. There is a male oriented party that says “I did it all by myself, no one helped me, and I am free to put my money in the Cayman Islands or in a Swiss bank account so no other American can touch it” and another more female oriented party that tries to ensure that every citizen has housing, food and shelter and a chance at a decent education.
We have one party that wants to leave women’s health care decisions to the (mostly male) legislators of the individual states, and another party that believes women should make their own decisions about their bodies and lives.
Please remember to vote!
Below you will find a round-up of this Moonth’s events, Celtic, nature and archeology news. Enjoy!
HERBAL HEALING CLASS
- A Six month intensive (near Amherst, MA) with Ellen Evert Hopman M.Ed. ~ Registered Herbalist AHG
October 13, 2012 – April, 2013
Two Saturdays a month, 1-5 PM
COST: $1,000.00 (includes a $100.00 non-refundable Xeroxing fee)
Covers Western herbal Materia Medica, formula making, case taking, Chinese Five Element Theory, Homeopathic First Aid, Flower Essence Counseling, plant identification, ethno botany, and hands on herbal techniques such as poultices, tinctures, salves etc. An herb walk outdoors, slide shows of plants and hands on preparations are included.
Over 400 pages of handouts are included with the course. A certificate of completion is offered at the end.
MA NURSES CAN GET CEUS BY TAKING THIS COURSE
Please contact me for further information.
OTHER SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Wiccanfest, October 5-8
- Changing Times, Changing Worlds
November 9 – 11
Conference at U. of MA, Amherst, MA
- Crystal Falls Wellness Center
Saturday, November 17 Southampton, MA
1- 3:30 pm
author fair, I will sell and sign books
285 College Hwy (Rt 10/202)
For more info: Lori (413) 536-7192 X1117
- Anne Ross has passed to the Otherworld. One of my favorite Celtic scholars.
- The tales of the Tuatha de Dannan (Robin Williamson)
- A new Celtic magazine
- Celtic prayers and poems
- Things to do at Full Moon
- Miranda Green and Barry Cunliffe discuss Druids
- The story of Taliesin
- Druid prayers at the paralympics
- Sacred Trees in Ireland (for more on this please see my book A Druids Herbal of Sacred Tree Medicine)
- Goldenrod for seasonal allergies and cat allergy
- Bhutan goes organic
- Russia bans GMO corn
- Whole Foods bows to Monsanto, sells GMO corn
- Honey speeds wound healing
- Herbal remedies for bacterial infection
- Tree hugging really does make you healthier
- Forest bathing
- Bronze Age burial shroud has fabric from a long distance away
- Fall Equinox alignments;Equinox in Jersey
- Loughcrew, Ireland
- View the interior of Knowth (which also has Equinox alignments)
- Bronze Age burials in Scotland
- Ancient humans were already recycling
- Ancient scroll fragment suggests Jesus was married
- Or was he?
- Spanish Mesolithic DNA explored
- A Guide to Scottish sites
- A new Henge discovered in Kent
- Another sign of our collapsing civilization
- Bronze Age cremation site found
- Roman Brits ate luxury foods and had lap dogs
- Most Neanderthals were righties
- Valerie Dunn’s Letter to the Editor – all women should read this. Then go vote.
- Even apes understand ethics
As we slide into the growing dark, may your dreams be filled with power and insight. May you carry the light of the sun within you, through all the dark times. May your ancestors guide you and keep you well, HAVE A BLESSED SAMHAIN!