“A human being is part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. The true value of a human being is determined by the measure and the sense in which they have obtained liberation from the self. We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if humanity is to survive.”
~ Albert Einstein.
This Moonth started out as a freezing cold May and ended up with record breaking heat. The storm clouds are gathering once again as I type, the mid-west has been hit by record breaking storms and tornadoes, and elsewhere the historic drought continues.
I sometimes wonder if Nature is mirroring the intense cultural divisions in this country. Everyone feels storm clouds brewing and the gun nuts are calling for armed revolution. Meanwhile the whole world is waking up to the fact that the monster Monsanto is threatening us all. This past Moonth saw world-wide protests against inadequately understood and tested GMO (Monsanto Round-up ready crops) foods.
Japan and other countries are refusing the buy US wheat because of cross contamination with non FDA approved GMO strains (Monsanto again). American farmers will see their livelihoods suffer and the American consumer will likely be force fed the GMO crops because no other country will buy them. Meanwhile Monsanto has lobbied to make sure that unlike in other countries, US foods will not get GMO labeling. We will never know what we are eating.
Now is the time to focus on buying certified organic foods and to grow your own organic produce. Also take a moment to write to Obama and demand GMO labeling in the US foods. Ask him to not reauthorize the Monsanto Protection Act, temporary legislation that was recently sneaked into law, to protect Monsanto should it be shown that their foods cause illness You can write to Obama about this here.
Those of us who follow the path of Nature Spirituality should take action on these matters. Its not enough to wear the symbols of a Nature Religion (Druidism, Witchcraft, Wicca, Asatru, etc.) and claim to honor the Nature Spirits. We all need to “walk our talk” and actually do something to protect the Earth and her creatures.
*** Upcoming Workshop Announcements ***
- Mutton and Mead Ren Faire – I will have an author table at this great event. Would love to see you there!
210 Turners Falls Road, Montague, MA 01351, USA
From June 22 to June 23
- Celtic Tree Magic Workshop
With Master Herbalist and author Ellen Evert Hopman
And Celtic Bard Crystalline Ruby Muse
I and my friend Crystalline Ruby Muse, an outstanding Celtic Bard, have created a weekend workshop that will take place this Fall at Earthlands Institute for Environmental Awareness September 20-22, in Western Massachusetts. The workshop is timed for the start of the Fall foliage season, with six vegetarian meals and lodging provided (and airport pickups for those who need them). Folks are registering already, a deposit will hold your space. Find the flier by opening the link hereand please share widely!
The ancient Druids of Ireland used the Ogham Tree Alphabet to share coded messages hidden from outsiders. Each letter is named for a tree or plant, and is surrounded with medicinal and spiritual lore. For centuries this language was only transmitted orally in order to protect its secrets.Using the Auraicept na n-Éces, a 7th century work of Irish scholars, as well as other traditional sources, we will reveal the meaning of this language. We will teach the poetic, spiritual, medicinal and divinatory meanings of these Celtic trees, all of which can be found in North America, in a context useful for modern seekers. We will venture outdoors where we will lead participants in connecting with the trees through meditation, observation, singing and dancing amongst them. Participants will make wands for individual use using the Ogham divinatory meanings as a guide.We will teach traditional and modern songs and incantations in Irish, Scots Gaelic, and English to deepen the cultural and spiritual context of our work together. The entire course will be interwoven with ceremony created through Celtic Reconstructionist scholarship, offering participants insight into original Celtic polytheistic spiritual practices.Students will leave with homemade wands and experience in using them; knowledge for using the Oghamas a divinatory tool; deeper awareness of and connection with ancient and extant Celtic culture; some understanding of how to use these trees as medicine; traditional and original songs to sing in Gaelic and English; insight into ritual in a uniquely Celtic context that they can continue to develop in their own spiritual practice; and a greater sense of connection to the spiritual realms as expressed through nature, song, and community ceremony.This workshop is appropriate for people who are completely new to the Ogham and Celtic Reconstructionist ceremony, as well as people who have some experience but would like to expand their knowledge and skills. It will be roughly one-third lecture, two-thirds participatory experience, which will include space for a question-and-answer format in which to cover the students’ preferred material.
For information on costs, more about the presenters, and the location of the workshop (in Petersham, MA at the beautiful Earthlands Institute for Environmental Awareness) follow this link.
**** If you purchase a book from this website you will get a signed copy and a personal note from the author! ****
Here are this Moonth’s gleanings from the media for your reading pleasure;
- Pesticides linked to Parkinson’s
- Japan, world reject US GMO (Monsanto) wheat.
- Signs of hope – Mother Nature joins the fight against Monsanto!
- Russians are feeding themselves with organic crops
- Where have the nutrients in fruits and vegetables gone?
- New Corona virus threatens world
- Monsanto roundup toxic to human cells, study shows
- 60 countries have labeling for GMO foods. The US and Canada don’t . See why (video)
- The dark history of Monsanto
- Pesticides tied to ADHD in children
- A common household chemical may be killing cats
- Druids – the Brahmins of Europe
- Calling all Druid vets! Please visit this site and fill out the VA forms – they won’t approve the Awen symbol until there is a deceased Druid vet who has filled out the required paperwork.
- The annual Beltaine Fire Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland. They really do it right!
- A classic song for Beltaine
- Images of Celtic women
- I wanted to pass on an announcement for this upcoming camp, held in an incredible hobbit-village of a rural Welsh site, because I’ve been told it’s basically full, but they may be able to squeeze in two or three more, so if you feel the call, if you might be interested, best jump on it *right away* More info and registration materials can be found here.
DRAGONRISE CAMP 2013: CATCHING THE TALE, TRANSFORMING THE WORLDS
Come awaken to the living stories that are within and all around us, just waiting to be heard!
In the company of Brigid and Lugh, come catch and share the stories that ignite the sacred spark of inspiration and self-knowledge. Paths are:
The Triad of Manifestation – Will, Intent and Desire (adult-only) and The Art of Ritual (all-ages)
- A nice article about Celtic Goddesses
- The archeology of hair (video)
- A Bronze Age boat reconstructed
- Were the Picts of Orkney destroyed or assimilated by Vikings?
- A Celtic Lunar calendar discovered in Germany
- Druid loses fight to have Stonehenge dead re-interred
- Pagan Saxon bones uncovered
- A new dig explores the Pictish kingdom of Fortriu
- A new Database of Ogham stones
- Iron Age shield from Lincolnshire, UK, returned
- Bronze Age treasure trove found in Wales
- Gaulish graveyard uncovered
- A new Ice Age museum opens in Germany
- Pathogen that cause the Potato Famine identified
- How plants communicate through fungus in the soil
- Tree hugging scientifically validated
- A fascinating look at the impact of humans on the planet
- CO2 levels highest in 1 million years
- Western Black Rhino declared extinct Sad smile
- I have these behind the house. They sound just like monkeys when they get going.
- Cicadas due to emerge after 17 years, once the ground reaches 64 degrees
- Monsanto’s war on farmers, the environment (video)
- Bee Colony Collapse is getting worse, not better
- Republicans fight repeal of the Monsanto Protection Act
- The Obama Care bill is about to go into effect – what are the real results?
- Tar Sands – what is the impact? Please write to the Whitehouse and tell Obama to just say “no” to the pipeline
- Article 1, section 8
To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;
News from the lunatic fringe; gun laws are “Pagan”
- A very nice monograph on Mullein
- Top ten herbs for the heart
- Health benefits of blueberries
- How to harvest and eat Hawthorn berries
- How to process hawthorn berries (video)
- Hawthorns found in the USA, where they grow etc.
- Herbal vinegars (I made nettles and dandelion flower vinegar this month)
- The recycled orchestra
- The world’s first permaculture pacifist survivalist film is in the works.
(There’s a close-captioned version on the website for the hearing-impaired.)
Also on YouTube.
- Learn Scottish Gaelic
- Irish language, music, dance, festival in Ontario
TEACHTAIREACHT DÁTHEANGACH / GAEILGE THÍOS OIREACHTAS GAEILGE CHEANADA
NORTH AMERICA’S PREMIER IRISH GAELIC FESTIVAL
Oireachtas Gaeilge Cheanada is the only festival outside of Ireland featuring the performing arts of the Gaeltacht, and conducted through the medium of the Irish Language.
Dates: Friday 28 – Sunday 30 June 2013
Location: The North American Gaeltacht, Tamworth/Erinsville Ontario
- PLEASE ADOPT A BLACK CAT (VIDEO)