A joyful, healthy and inspiring New Year to all who read this!
The end of 2014 has become “the year of the primeval beasts” around here. Folks have been reporting moose the size of dinosaurs roaming the roads, though I have yet to see them. In my little neck of the forest the pesky possums that were tearing up the lawn looking for grubs have abated, but during the recent warm spell squirrels have taken to burying acorns all over the front and back lawns. I watch them from the kitchen window and think about screaming (but never do). In the summer I will have plenty of seedlings to cull, the animals are trying their best to revert the homestead into forest.
On the political front I have watched in disbelief as reports of the billions of dollars spent on US elections come in. Meanwhile the GOP wants to cut Social Security, food stamps and Medicare for the poor, elderly, children, and underemployed. They can’t do this because Walmart workers and the rest of the “service industry” workers will not be able to feed themselves without food stamps and they would be without health care if it weren’t for Obamacare, so it’s probably still just political theater (one hopes). Also, most American have no pensions or retirement savings and because wages have not kept up with inflation for the last thirty years elderly Americans simply cannot survive without Social Security. Please make your opinion known to your compassionate Republican representatives on this matter.
I am so disgusted by all this that I, an American, have decided once and for all that I am a monarchist. A Constitutional Monarchy seems the best type of government to me these days when I think of all the money and effort that is wasted on bloated, prolonged campaigns that do nothing except produce politicians who serve their biggest donors and not the people. Corporations have become the new aristocracy and someone needs to keep them in check.
As a Druid, I have watched British Druid orders with envy. In ancient times the Druids would always have an Arch Druid at the helm and they were in that position for life. That freed up the time, energy and resources of everyone to be creative, teach, spread and maintain the faith. American Druid Orders are afflicted with the same issues as our national government. Power struggles and elections mean time, bandwidth and energy that should be going into creative projects, teaching, building and worship are squandered.
That is my last little rant for 2014.
On the personal front I am putting the last touches on another herbal book and lining up gigs for 2015. So far I am teaching in PA, CA and MA.
Below you will find a collection of the last Moonth’s archeology, herbal, nature, Celtic, religion and ethical news. Enjoy!
PA TREE WORKSHOP REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
TREE MEDICINE TREE MAGIC
May 29, 2015 at 3:30pm to May 31, 2015 at 4:00pm
119 Cherry Ct Matamoras PA 18336
Weekend Workshop Hosted by Ellen Evert Hopman
A Friday night slide show of some common North American trees illustrating their medicinal and magical properties. On Saturday morning we learn about the Irish “Tree alphabet” and then go outside to perform a traditional Druid tree meditation and learn to listen to the trees. Saturday afternoon we learn more about the “Tree Alphabet” and then gather tree medicines such as leaves, pine needles, flowers, barks, etc. Sunday we prepare medicines from the ingredients we have gathered. Each student will leave with a hand-made set of Ogham divination cards, based on the ancient Irish Ogham “Tree Alphabet”. Please bring a notebook and pen, and wear comfortable shoes and outdoor clothes as you will be outside part of the weekend.
Weekend Fee $125 which includes class, lunches, and supplies.
Please send fee to Marjorie Forbes Spadoni, 119 Cherry Ct, Matamoras PA 18336
If you need to stay over locally there is a Best Western 5 minutes away.
484-347-7489 for more info
*Reminder! You can order signed books and get a personal note from the author, via this website*
- Press Release: Tara Skryne Presrvation Group 28.11.14
Press Release 28/11/14
Campaigners are again hitting Social Media sites to draw attention to issues threatening to affect the Tara landscape Co.Meath.Campaigners have been asking since 2007 for two simple commitments that will solve the long running dispute between heritage and development in Meath. Neither seem forthcoming.
1. The Tara Landscape Conservation Area designation, which has been languishing for years, needs to be passed allowing no major structural development within Tara Archaeological landscape. This does not affect local housing, farming or business. Public consultation has been long complete and no valid serious objections were lodged.
2. The Leinster Orbital should be moved north of Navan away from Archaeological landscapes of Tara and Bru Na Boinne. North of Navan should be designated a special development area and South between Navan and Dunshaughlin a heritage area allowing certainty for Meath businesses and investors in long term planning.Recent NRA press announcements that a new Type 1 Service Area between theClonee and Blundlestown junctions of the M3 Motorway is currently being considered, plus the recent sale of lands beside the Blundlestown Interchange in an area previously proposed as the linkage between the M3 and the Leinster Outer Orbital Route, has triggered the start of Facebook and Twitter campaigns by the Tara Skryne Preservation Group who say they are gearing up to oppose any and all commercial and inappropriate development of this archaeologically sensitive area.Type 1 Service Areas typically consist of fuel facilities, shopping/retail courts, restrooms, tourist information, parking and picnic areas.”Inappropriate developments such as this would not only impact the sensitive Tara Skryne landscape but would also impact small businesses such as cafes and petrol stations, taking money out of the local economy and diverting it to share holder driven franchises”, said group spokesperson Carmel Diviney.”The proposed Outer Leinster Orbital Route would have serious detrimental effects on the area and would be in contravention of current planning guidelines as per the Meath County Development Plan.” she added.The Leinster Outer Orbital Route, a motorway around the city of Dublin was proposed to be built between 2011 and 2019 in order to connect Drogheda, Navan and Naas, however it was shelved during the recession. It would serve as a second bypass of the city to complement the M50 linking all of Dublin’s main trunk routes: M1, M2, M3, M4 and M7. The only route that would not be served is the M11.As a major North South link with access tothe Airport via the M3, the Leinster Orbital would be a major development asset for Meath if placed north of Navan where land is available for Business parksand small enterprises, rather than the current route adjacent to significant archaeological areas that have obvious planning issues.The Tara Skryne Preservation Group suspects that plans for the Orbital route are being mooted again if not back on the table, and the long term goal is to sell land for major development in the Archaeological landscapes something that would not be welcomed by residents. The TSPG fund raising drive is to raise money to launch objections, appeals and legal challenges to any large commercial or or inappropriate development of the Tara Skryne Valley.
Tara Skryne Preservation Group
Contact: Carmel Diviney 0876011771
HOW YOU CAN HELP TARA
Help Save Our Heritage, crowdfunding campaign by the Tara Skryne Preservation Group in County Meath Ireland
- My book SCOTTISH HERBS AND FAIRY LORE gets a wee mention
- Kinsella reads from the Tain (the Cattle Raid of Cooley)
- A Barbary Ape skull found in Navan fort
- A Celtic triple Goddess, the Nursing Mothers
- A Bronze Age man and his dagger
- Pines and Oaks in Christmas lore
- Neanderthals have an image problem (video)Related…
- Pictish stones (video)
- Newgrange and the Winter Solstice
- Top 10 Archaeological discoveries of 2014
- Bullaun stones
- A runic calendar
- What’s under Stonehenge?
- A 6000 year old camp found near Stonehenge
- Another seat of Pictish power found
- Ancient Egyptians had government health plan (Americans haven’t even caught up to the ancient Egyptians yet)
Related: Ancient Egyptian pregnancy test (and it works!)
- What did ancient Babylonian songs sound like?
- A cemetery with 1 million mummified bodies
- More mummy news: Otzi had heart disease
- Glacier archeology comes of age
- Life in ancient Rome (video)
- Giant statue of Hadrian (the one who built the wall) found in Turkey
- Six golden torcs found in Jersey
- Viking women
More about Viking women
- A Viking hoard restored
- Vikings during the little Ice Age
- Ancient Britons mainly come from Iberia
- Ties between Bronze Age Denmark and Egypt proven
- Celtic from the West – scholars will consider if Celtic culture began on the Atlantic seaboard
- A hoard of Pictish and Roman silver found in Scotland
- World’s oldest art – 500,00 years old
- The gene for digesting alcohol
- Bronze Age finds in the fens (video)
- Deer antlers and horse bones found in Galway hint at ritual use
- Life in the Viking Age (video)
- A dig in London yields 8000 artefacts, so far.
- Celtic Barbarians (video)
- 23,000 year old French super models
- Earth wobbles and the Sun rises in a different place now (video)
- 63 year old Albatross lays an egg
- The oldest living thing in Europe?
- The Journal “Nature” opens up to give free access to sharing
- Monarch butterflies may yet survive now that logging in Mexico has stopped. But the loss of habitat in the US and Canada is now the focus. Pesticides that GMO crops are bred to endure are decimating milkweed
- Uisneach (video)
- Irish Fairy Lore (video)
- Sabrina, Goddess of the Severn
- Brehon Law, what was it?
- Norse loanwords in Old and Middle Irish
- Fiddle Head ferns
- Edible trees:
- Calamus root (it grows in the US by the way) for the mind (video)
- Free lunch (video)
- Yarrow Mead
- Eating acorns
- Gathering wild peppercorns in the Midwest
- Saffron is just as good as medications for Depression
- A nice database for Irish flowers
- Pagans celebrate Solstice
- What was Yule?
- What is Paganism?
- What is Paganism (video)
- Psychologist who designed US torture program resigns as Mormon Bishop
- Pope Francis: Dogs can go to heaven
- Some Druid rituals to download
- The Horned God is Back
- A video about death and meaning (video)
- The death of Hypatia
- Gnomes! (video)
NEWS YOU CAN USE
POLITICS AND ETHICS
- Two year old fatally shoots his mother who was carrying a loaded, unsecured gun in her purse. More evidence that we need to stop putting guns in homes, carrying them around. Truly tragic and really dumb.
- Corporations are not people (video)
- UN expert calls for prosecution of US leaders who condoned torture
- Why it has become impossible to police the police
- St. Louis prosecutor may lose his license over Ferguson Grand Jury manipulations. (One hopes)
- Journalism student shreds the case against Mike Brown
- Disturbing video that everyone needs to see. The amount of food thrown away each year could feed all the hungry in the world three times over. (video)
- The true cost of Walmart to US taxpayers
- The USA is still the only developed country with no paid maternity leave
- Who actually receives government entitlements in the USA?
- Black Friday – “Hands up! Don’t Shop!” (video)
- Obama does Colbert (video)
- McCain pushes land swap to privatize Apache sacred land
The elders response…
- Even Conservatives approve of Elizabeth Warren
- Why gun laws matter, and why we need more of them.
- Congressman who votes to drug test welfare recipients is busted on cocaine charges (why am I not surprised)
- How Elizabeth Warren is defending veterans and others from predatory banks
- Obama voted most admired man for 7th year in a row
*Reminder! You can order signed books and get a personal note from the author, via this website*