This past Moonth we experienced record heat here in New England, it was a record 96 degrees in mid-September and I found myself floating in a local pond, something New Englanders would not expect to be doing in early fall. I feel very grateful to be living in a rural area; a great blue heron flew overhead and the local kids screamed with delight and awe at the sight. No video games for them, they have the real thing in their back yard.
Late in September I went to California to visit the redwoods and the sea and to teach a class in formula making and case taking at the Philo School of Herbal Energetics, the weekend of September 26/27. This new book covers a lot of what I taught in the class. It will be out in March, 2016 but you can pre-order now.
Secret Medicines from Your Garden
Plants for Healing, Spirituality, and Magic
A guided exploration of herbal lore and healing plants found in yards, forests, meadows, and hedgerows
While there I and three others decided to go to a mountaintop to observe the Full Moon eclipse. We brought chairs and a bottle of wine and expected to have the view to ourselves. Much to our surprise when we got there, there was quite a crowd. Being Californians they turned the mystical event into a party, bottles of local wine and other smoked substances were passed around. Several folks brought telescopes and I was privileged to observe the Moon up close as the eclipse progressed. I had never looked through such a powerful scope; I could clearly see a huge crater and another big treat, I was able to see Saturn for the very first time. What a gorgeous yellow jewel of a planet Saturn is, the rings were clearly visible as golden haloes of light.
But the most amazing thing of all was the Milky Way, Caer Arianrhod, which stretched in all its glory and spangled with stars from one horizon to the other. The stars were clearer than even those I have seen in desert skies and an astronomer on the hill told me that the only time you can see it like that is during a Full Moon eclipse. That won’t be possible again for another thirty years!
Eclipses presage change and this one was exceptionally powerful. Shortly after the eclipse the speaker of the House resigned, Shell abruptly decided to cancel its plans to drill in the arctic, and China signed a ban on importation of ivory. It feels like we are entering a new and hopeful phase where many things are possible.
- I have a few bits in the debut issue of Mythology Magazine. A gorgeous issue and well worth the price!
- SECRET MEDICINES OF YOUR KITCHEN gets a wee mention in this magazine
- My newest Druid book A LEGACY OF DRUIDS (Moon Books) will also be out in Spring 2016 and is currently in the final phases of editing.
*Reminder – you can order my books from this web site and get a signed copy!*
- My six month herbal intensive that I teach near Amherst, MA starts October 17. Write to me for further details;
SIX MONTH HERBAL INTENSIVE IN WESTERN MA (near Amherst)
October 17, 2015 – April, 2016
Two Saturdays a month, 1-5 PM near Amherst, MA
The Western Massachusetts School of Herbal Studies
Intro to Herbalism and Self Care
With Ellen Evert Hopman M.Ed. ~ Registered Herbalist AHG
author of “Scottish Herbs and Fairy Lore”, “A Druid’s Herbal for the Sacred Earth Year”, “A Druids Herbal – Of Sacred Tree Medicine” and other books and DVDs
Covers Western herbal Materia Medica, formula making, case taking, Chinese Five Element Theory, Homeopathic First Aid, Flower Essence Counseling, plant identification, ethno botany, an herb walk outdoors and hands on herbal techniques such as poultices, tinctures, salves. Over 550 pages of handouts are included with the course. A certificate of completion is offered at the end.
Cost: $1,000.00 (plus a $100.00 non-refundable Xeroxing fee)
MA NURSES CAN GET CEUS BY TAKING THIS COURSE”I studied with Ellen Evert Hopman back in the late 90’s. The information she shared with me has helped me in many aspects of my life! I learned the skills to identify, and properly utilize, many herbs as; essences, teas, salves, poultices and tinctures. I found her program to be quite thorough!” ~A. Potter
Below you will find the usual past Moonth’s collection of archeology, nature, religion, herbal and ethics news. Enjoy!
- An Urnfield vase with lunar markings
- A Celtic burial in Slovakia
- A Bronze Age sweat house
- Dogs in Celtic culture and religion
- Equinox in Ireland (video)
- Equinox at Sliabh na Cailliagh
- Bronze Age British mummies
- The earliest known animal to have walked upright on four legs
- Hildegaard of Bingen
- A mass Celtic burial
- Ten places to experience Celtic culture
- Caverns with Pictish burials found in the UK
- 120 million year old sea turtle found
- Cave paintings
- A new human species found in South Africa
- Female Shamans
- Seidr – magical songs of the Norse
- Icelandic turf houses
- The history of hurling
- How ancient Americans got their morning buzz.
- Melting ice at Yellowstone reveals ancient artifacts
- Was Cahokia destroyed by floods?
- Finding the first Americans
- Ancient rules of hospitality towards strangers and refugees
- Brodgar, Scotland
- DNA tells the story of the origin of the Basques
- Europeans ate oatmeal porridge 32,000 years ago
Related: The real Paleo diet included carbs; oats and acorns
- Dear dad, please send money. University students letters from the middle ages.
- A Mesolithic site on Skye
- Roman references to Pictish tattoos
- A “Superhenge” found near Stonehenge
An yet more!
- The Carnyx, a Celtic horn
- Celtic heads
- Walnuts linked to ancient languages and trade routes
- Hundreds of Irish children buried in a ring fort
- The dancing plague
- 3000 year old bog butter
- Female physicians in antiquity
- Why Orkney is the center of Britain
- Bronze Age horn music revealed through 3-D printing
- Archeologists search for the tribes of North Britain, under the sea
- Rare drawings of Newgrange, circa 1866
- A Bronze Age city discovered off the coast of Greece
- Bay Laurel – an important ingredient in my healing salves
- Stop the war on invasives
- Grow vines like the Romans did
- “Undoing civilization one graft at a time” guerilla grafters
- How to make herbal coffee (my suggestion is to mix these herbs in with your regular coffee as an extender. Just sayin’)
- How to make Sloe (Blackthorn) Gin
- Make acorn flour
- Foraging wars
- What to do with all those extra green tomatoes?
- Black bear takes a bath in the forest (video)
- Polar bears frolicking in flowers
- A dinosaur with a clubbed tail
- Pelicans in Colorado clean up a lake
- The history of cats (video)
- Traditional dance in Ireland (video)
- The oldest pub in Europe
- Stay in a Celtic roundhouse
- Fairies destroyed richest man in Ireland
- Why Republicans fear the pope
- Hospital opens room for Native American smudging
- Ancient Pagan rules of hospitality towards strangers and refugees
- The Matronae (Triple Mothers)
- The Egyptian Book of the Dead (video)
- A song in honor of Brighid (video)
- Senachie (traditional story teller) warns pharmaceutical company not to harm a Fairy Fort
- The music of the Fairies (Blasket Islands) (video)
- There’s Fairies in the Gutter (video)
POLITICS AND ETHICS
- Who does the NRA really represent?
- Closing of TX abortion clinics means more 2nd trimester abortions
- Woman accused of Witchcraft is fired from military dental clinic
- Record number of guns found in airplane luggage
- CDC still banned from doing gun research
- Doctors are not allowed to ask if there is a gun in the home
- Why the Pope scares Republican climate change deniers
- 10 times the Pope and Bernie Sanders sounded alike
- Bernie on Colbert (video)
- North Carolina moms fought the NRA and won
- Trump’s wall debunked
- Dick Cheney to be charged in Halliburton bribery case
- Indigenous Canadian tribe turns down millions to block a pipeline
- Medicare costs may soon go up for millions of seniors
- Brave doctor in Ohio opens abortion clinic
- Denmark now produces 140% of its electricity from wind All blessings of the coming Samhain (Halloween) season on those who read this blog!