Incredibly it is still snowing on March 30 as I type this. Here in New England we are adjusting to living in the arctic, while in the west, Alaska to California, the lack of snow and rain means a continuing heat wave and drought. It feels as if the Earth has tilted on its axis.
I have stopped putting out suet and bird seed, as I normally do this time of year, to discourage bears. Ravens and crows have been frequenting the pile of seed that has accumulated under the feeders, thrown out by rapacious squirrels. Woodpeckers have been seen scratching the ground for seed too, they must be very hungry due to a lack of insects in the continuing cold. Possum tracks have re-appeared in the snow under my kitchen window where I throw out compost like egg shells, rotting fruit and vegetable parings.
I have reached an age where I have started wondering if I have reached the end of my creative projects. Last year at some point I thought I might be done with writing, but no, the Gods had other plans. Amazingly there are now TWO new books in the offing; THE SECRET MEDICINES OF YOUR GARDEN will be out in Spring 2016 from Inner Traditions Bear & Co., and another book A LEGACY OF DRUIDS will be out from Moon Books later this year.
I was sitting on a collection of interviews and conversations I had done with Druids in the US, Canada and Britain, some twenty years ago. For some reason I got a sudden inspiration to trot out those old interviews that never got published. Some of the persons I interviewed have since crossed the veil; Isaac Bonewits, Olivia Robertson, Tim Sebastian, and possibly others. In any case, I hope this book will be a contribution to Druid history. Philip Carr Gomm is writing the foreword for which I am deeply honored.
Some places where I will be teaching, in Pennsylvania, California and Massachusetts:
- TREE MEDICINE TREE MAGIC
May 29, 2015 at 3:30pm to May 31, 2015 at 4:00pm
119 Cherry Ct Matamoras PA 18336
Weekend Workshop Hosted by Ellen Evert Hopman
A Friday night slide show of some common North American trees illustrating their medicinal and magical properties. On Saturday morning we learn about the Irish “Tree alphabet” and then go outside to perform a traditional Druid tree meditation and learn to listen to the trees. Saturday afternoon we learn more about the “Tree Alphabet” and then gather tree medicines such as leaves, pine needles, flowers, barks, etc. Sunday we prepare medicines from the ingredients we have gathered. Each student will leave with a hand-made set of Ogham divination cards, based on the ancient Irish Ogham “Tree Alphabet”. Please bring a notebook and pen, and wear comfortable shoes and outdoor clothes as you will be outside part of the weekend.Weekend Fee $125 which includes class, lunches, and supplies.Please send fee to Marjorie Forbes Spadoni 119 Cherry Ct Matamoras PA 18336
If you need to stay over locally we have a Best Western 5 minutes away. Call 484-347-7489 for more info
- ADVANCED FORMULA MAKING AND CASE TAKING CLASS
September 5-6, 2015
119 Cherry Ct, Matamoras PA 18336
Advanced case taking and formula making class with Ellen Evert Hopman, Herbalist AHG . Learn Basic Five Element Theory; seasons, flavors, taste, voice tone, emotions. Learn the basics of Facial Diagnosis; lines, colors, moles, blemishes and learn an advanced formula making technique to design individually crafted remedies for individuals. In-between we will walk outside and meet some of the plants and trees in the garden and make some remedies to take home. Weekend Fee $125 which includes class, lunches, and supplies.Please send fee to Marjorie Forbes Spadoni 119 Cherry Ct, Matamoras PA 18336. If you need to stay over locally we have a Best Western 5 away. Call 484-347-7489 for more info.
- ADVANCED FORMULA MAKING AND CASE TAKING CLASS
September 25-26-27, Philo, California (near Mendocino)
Advanced case taking and formula making class with Ellen Evert Hopman, Herbalist AHG. A Friday night lecture on the Doctrine of Signatures. On Saturday and Sunday you will learn basic Chinese Five Element Theory; seasons, flavors, taste, voice tone, emotions and the fundamentals of Facial Diagnosis; lines, colors, moles, blemishes. You will also learn an advanced formula making technique to design individually crafted remedies for individuals. In-between we will walk outside and meet some of the plants and trees in the garden.The Philo School of Herbal Energetics website has information on directions & lodging. $150 for the weekend; register here. Lodging: They do not offer lodging. Please go to the Anderson Valley Chamber of Commerce page for available lodging.
- SIX MONTH HERBAL INTENSIVE IN WESTERN MA (near Amherst, MA)
October 17, 2015 – April, 2016
Two Saturdays a month, 1-5 PM near Amherst, MA
The Western Massachusetts School of Herbal Studies
Intro to Herbalism and Self Care With Ellen Evert Hopman M.Ed. ~ Registered Herbalist AHG author of “Scottish Herbs and Fairy Lore“, “A Druid’s Herbal for the Sacred Earth Year”, “A Druids Herbal – Of Sacred Tree Medicine” and other books and DVDs. Covers Western herbal Materia Medica, formula making, case taking, Chinese Five Element Theory, Homeopathic First Aid, Flower Essence Counseling, plant identification, ethno botany, an herb walk outdoors and hands on herbal techniques such as poultices, tinctures, salves. Over 550 pages of handouts are included with the course. A certificate of completion is offered at the end.
Cost: $1,000.00 (plus a $100.00 non-refundable Xeroxing fee)
MA NURSES CAN GET CEUS BY TAKING THIS COURSE
I had a few small articles in the new issue of Aontacht/ Druidic Dawn
Here is a wonderful volunteer opportunity for college students or others who would like to help build housing on a Sioux reservation this summer;
Below you will find the usual assortment of gleanings from the media and *you can order my books from this website and from the other usual places* Enjoy!
- Evidence for a tsunami in 8000 BCE in Scotland (video)
- Reconstructed clothing of a Scythian princess
- Neanderthal bones differ from humans even in smallest places
- The oldest evidence for breast cancer found
- A Magdalenian burial
- A missing Sheila na Gig
- Has English Heritage ruined Stonehenge?
- ISIS destruction may not be as bad as feared. Maybe.
- Evidence for hunters in Alberta, Canada, older than once thought
- The Carnyx – Caledonia’s war trumpet
- Gold objects from ancient Dacia looted from Romania
- Chavet cave makes its public debut
- 60,000 year old Aurochs bones found, evidence of hunting
- Bronze mask of the God Pan found in Israel
- Things you didn’t know about the Vikings
- Vikings were in Ireland earlier than once supposed
- 20,000 year old cave paintings discovered in Cantabria
- Neanderthals made jewelry
And had red hair
- Isis preachers call for the destruction of the Sphinx and the pyramids (Grrrrr.)
- A Slovenian Celtic burial
- How the Harappans managed water
- Iron Age brain preserved in mud
- The Indus Valley Civilization
- A Prince’s tomb found in France
- The horned god on the cauldron is Achelous
- Tulsi (Holy Basil)
- Plant consciousness (video)
- Turmeric is as effective as Prozac, study finds
- Antidepressant microbes in dirt! Gardeners take note.
- How to identify Fiddlehead Ferns (video)
- Miner’s lettuce for salad
- How to forage for wild plants
- A 17 million year old whale skull found on a mountain in inland Africa
- Evidence that Mars had more water than Earth
- Quantum equation posits that there was no “big bang”
- “Extinct” bird reappears in Burma
- Did the wolf-dog alliance wipe out the Neanderthals?
- How penguins survived the last ice age
- A minister in Northern Ireland complains about Pagan practices
- Councillors in Northern Ireland fear statue of Manannan Mac Lir will encourage Paganism (one hopes)
- A Druid tree meditation (video)
- You need to be careful when baking bannocks because the fairy folk may come into your house if you do not put a hole in the last cake, or break a piece off of it, of put a live coal on its top. If you don’t do these things, the fairy folk will sing the following:
Without gap or fissure,
Rise and let us in!
…and they will be in!
(Ronald Black (ed.), The Gaelic Otherworld, 2005, p. 10)
POLITICS AND ETHICS
- Indiana governor signs law making it legal to discriminate for “religious reasons” and then claims persecution
- PA doctors forbidden to address health concerns around fracking and drilling
- Ted Cruz, who vowed to scrap Obamacare if elected and has lobbied to shut down the government over Obamacare, is now going on Obamacare (you just can’t make this stuff up)
- Why Ted Cruz wants to be High Priest of America
- California HAS ONE YEAR OF WATER LEFT. Desalination plants will not work because there is radiation from Fukoshima and Diablo Canyon will eventually go since its sitting on a fault line (how dumb can we get?). There is no way to filter out the smaller isotopes and the water would be deadly.
- “Just say no” to fracking in New England (video)
- Fracking is depleting water in driest areas of the USA
- Indigenous protesters threaten to block big oil in the Amazon
- Polish farmers stage massive protest vs GMOs
- Fracking will destroy a sacred site, say the Navaho
- Chinese wind farms now produce more energy than all of America’s nukes
- Beyond crazy. Republican Tom Cotton wants family members of those who violate Iran sanctions punished. What?
- Republican trafficking bill cuts funds for abortion, forces teenage girls to carry babies that are products of rape
- Senate votes to give Native American lands to mining companies. “The measure was added into the NDAA largely thanks to the efforts of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who, along with fellow Arizona Republican Sen. Jeff Flake”. So, like ISIL they are happy to destroy sacred sites and archeology for gain.
- Iran says letter from 47 GOP Congress members is just propaganda
- McCain: A snow storm made me do it
- Rand Paul makes more excuses