We are finally getting some rain here on the mountain. The land has been so parched that my well went dry twice. Each time I had to wait days to use the water, relying on sponge baths and bottled fare. I have never seen conditions like this in New England.
The Canada geese left for the winter about a week ago and the local lake seems barren without them. A few wild ducks are hanging on.
I have a new animal neighbor – a black squirrel has appeared here in the oak forest where I have been for thirty years now. It’s the first time I have seen one in my neck of the woods. For me, black birds such as raven and crows have always heralded deep magic, luck and prosperity. I meditated on the meaning of the black squirrel and what I received was the word “gathering”.
Faced as we are with a very backwards looking new administration (“Let’s make America great again” like it was in the good old days when blacks had few rights and women knew their place) the only way we will overcome the bigotry is by “gathering”. Gathering together in our groups, gathering together to share information and resources, gathering together to oppose the primitive agenda of the great kleptocrat (klep·to·crat ˈkleptəˌkrat/ noun: kleptocrat; plural noun: kleptocrats a ruler who uses political power to steal his or her country’s resources) who says he has no reason to put his massive, international business interests into a blind trust because “the rules don’t apply to him”.
We are already seeing this in the gathering of Native Americans at Standing Rock, water protectors from just about every indigenous nation have come together in a historic effort to preserve the water for millions. We are seeing this in the preparations for a million woman march in DC on inauguration day.
Bill Moyers says it all in a powerful essay on where we are now as a nation. This all could have been avoided if half the eligible voters in America had bothered to make their voices heard. Hillary won the popular vote by two million, but the Great Deceiver managed to win the electoral college – at least as of this writing. Folks are also gathering together to try and oust him before December 19. Stay tuned. We live in fascinating times.
I am working on two books at the moment – a re-release of the old classic “Tree Medicine-Tree Magic” and a book about New England Witches. What with herb classes and a day job, I am keeping myself busy.
Below is the usual collection of book news, nature, climate, archealogy, religion, Celtic and ethics news. Looking forward to Winter Solstice and the return of the Light. May we all receive what we wish for.
A million woman march is being planned for January 21 in Washington DC, but local marches are happening too. Here is one: Boston Women’s March – January 21 12PM-3PM (Alternative to DC) Sat 12 PM · Boston Common
And don’t forget the Standing Rock water protectors as they face the coming winter. You can send cash or checks or donate via PayPal.
Checks or cash may be sent to:
Oceti Sakowin Camp
P.O. Box 298, Cannon Ball, ND 58528
*And please consider buying books for Christmas. If you order from this website you get a signed copy with a personal note! Please specify who you want the books signed to!*
MORE BOOK NEWS
- On Thursday, December 29 I will be speaking on the radio at 9 PM – you can tune in here.
- A new literary journal, “Enheduanna”, is born. I have a piece in there! Published just once a year, they are seeking contributions.
This book is a fascinating collection of interviews gathered together by Ellen Evert Hopman from some of the most influential people in the pagan/druid world covering the USA, Canada and Britain. It offers a unique view into the modern day world of druidry, what gives it an interesting spin is that the interviews were all carried out in and around 1996 – it is a wonderful time hop to see how druidry was perceived then and what the expectations were and compare them to now.
- Review in “Green Egg” Samhain 2016 edition A Legacy of Druids By Ellen Evert Hopman, along with a forward by Phillip Carr-Gomm. This book is a compilation of interviews done by Ms. Hopman with prominent Druids over the course of the last twenty years. Interviewees include Phillip Carr-Gomm, Isaac Bonewits, and Arthur Uther Pendragon, along with Practitioners in Spirit such as Olivia Robertson and Susan Henssler ,as well as many scholars such as Ronald Hutton.
This book shows a unique perspective of the history and development of Modern Druidry. This is indeed a must-read book by anyone following the Druid path, as well as anyone interested in Magickal history. One of my personal favorite quotes from the book is by an Anishinaabe, Elder of the Ojibwa:
“It is time for the old Earth spirituality of the Europeans to start coming back. We are in real trouble if it doesn’t. People really need to start turning to their own ancestors for help. This is what needs to happen. Some people will be afraid of this. Why else would they burn everyone over there? If you’re following the lead of the Old Ones and people are afraid or critical of you, you know you are doing something right”.
Once again, I give Legacy of Druids my highest recommendation and certainly hope there is a second edition coming, re-interviewing the same people who are available.
- 10 must-see Mayan temples
- A magnificent gold torc found in Cambridge shire
- Neanderthals more advanced than was once thought
- Anasazi ruins in Utah in need of protection from vandals
- A 5th century BCE Celtic chariot burial found in Scotland
- An ancient Egyptian town and cemetery are discovered
- A Middle Bronze Age jug is found in Israel
- Ancient Maya domesticated wild turkeys 2300 years ago
- What did the pilgrims and Wampanoag eat on the first Thanksgiving?
- 5000 year old corn genes are sequenced
- Turkeys were first domesticated in Tennessee
- Where potatoes were first domesticated
- How the archealogical survey of the DAPL pipeline project went wrong
- An abandoned medieval castle in Scotland
- The archeology of the Celtic head
- A vast religious site found near Stonehenge
- Autism in human evolution
- Immigrant burials in Early Ireland
- A second nesting pyramid is found inside Chichen Itza
- Hillforts in the Grampians, Scotland
- The Hill of the Hag, Loughcrew, Ireland
- Stoney Littleton long barrow
- A traditional Irish hen’s nest
- What Proto-Indo-European sounded like
- The earliest recorded human burial in Ireland recorded
- Heraklion, is this the real Atlantis?
- Polish Celts
- Samhain sunrise at the Hill of the Hag (Loughcrew)
- Denisovian beads and a bone needle found in Siberia
- A 9000 year old stone ax from Limerick
- A 1000 year old Viking tool box
- Middle Stone Age ochre processing tools
- Iberian Neolithic stone bracelets
- A stone circle is being excavated on Dartmoor
- Public is asked to help find “Witch marks” on buildings
- Archeologists and museums decry destruction of NA sites at Standing Rock
- Why ISIL wants to destroy ancient artefacts
- Scientists re-create an ancient mead from 2,500 years ago
- A Pictish stone found in Orkney
- Celtic burial in France: is a male or a female?
- Fossilized dinosaur brain tissue found
- Jesus’ tomb (supposedly) revealed
- Sacred Tobacco grown in Massachusetts, is being sent to the water protectors
- Cedar for carpal tunnel, cancer (video)
- It’s time to make Fire Cider!
- Make Rosemary Pine Beard Balm
- Make acorn flour *You can find acorn recipes in my book SECRET MEDICINES FROM YOUR GARDEN*
- Astragalus monograph
- Mugwort (it’s also a would herb, part of the old Anglo-Saxon “Nine Herbs Charm”)
- Cannabis is shown to improve night vision
- Make medicinal syrup for winter colds
- Millennials on spirit quests are ruining Ayahuasca
- Harvesting Pine pollen
- Calendula monograph
- Nuts, haws and drupes
- Conifers for healing
- How to cope with Narcissistic Personality Disorder in the White House (and elsewhere)
- First interactive map of developing human embryo developed
- Fear of Trump is actually making some kids physically sick
- A new treatment to reverse Alzheimer’s
- Gene editing is making progress against blindness (in mice)
- Antibiotic resistance is still growing
- Will you get the flu this year? The year you were born can predict it.
- New studies question if high cholesterol causes heart disease/mortality in the elderly
- Correction: Obamacare premiums are going up about 0% for most people
- Having green space near the home lessens depression, aggression in kids
- Medical students refusing to accept for profit health care as it now exists
- Efforts to create a male contraceptive shot still underway
- Study shows how cigarettes cause cell DNA mutations; cancers
- Study: use of smartphones leads to sleeplessness
CLIMATE AND NATURE NEWS
- Massive pipeline burst in ND farmer’s field
- Puffin deaths suggest warming seas to blame
- Default position of Trump Whitehouse will be climate change denial
- Trump wants to cut all funding for NASA climate research because it’s just “politicized science”
- Arctic tipping points are piling up; world havoc due to climate change is looming
- No Mr. Trump, climate change is not a Chinese hoax
- Sweden’s recycling is so efficient it is running out of trash
- Slovenia enshrines water as a human right in their constitution
- Temps in the Arctic are an insane 36 degrees higher than normal (Trump still denies global warming)
- Trump’s ag advisor says pesticides aren’t bad for you (or the bees)
- Siberia was once sub-tropical
- Pluto may have a vast ocean
- Illegal oil leases cancelled on Blackfeet sacred land
- Army Corps of Engineers calls a halt to Dakota Pipeline construction, thanks to Obama
- Morton County law enforcement being sued over excessive force against water protectors
- A map of where the pipeline is scheduled to go and who it affects (which is really all of us)
- Romania bans trophy hunting of bears, lynx, wolves and wild cats
- Judge rules that kids can sue to protect the climate
- When did life begin?
- A new species of bird-like dinosaur from China
- Climate change deniers take the Whitehouse
- Trump: “Climate change is a hoax invented by the Chinese for their own profit”. Is the planet doomed?
- If children lose contact with nature they won’t fight for it
- 9 foot salmon once plied Pacific coast
- Monsanto loses GMO permit in Mexico; judge sides with the bees
- Ireland plans to plant a forest of Redwoods on an estate (they were once native to Ireland!)
- Zoology news; meet the Puggle.
- Forest decimation threatens Saami reindeer herders (video)
- Honey badgers are smart (video)
- Honey Badgers don’t care (video)
- Climate change has affected every ecosystem on Earth
- 5 things you need to know about the Dakota pipeline protests
- Proof that oil pipelines leak
- Can we have a future without climate chaos? German group shows how.
- Film maker faces 30 years for documenting climate action
- A new theory about why we have ice ages every 100,000 years
- Norway becomes the first country to ban deforestation
- What is dark matter? (video)
- Stunning photos of Earth from space
- Draft genome of Ginko biloba is published
- Dinosaur brain tissue found for the first time
- The problem with Christian Fundamentalism in Rural America
- Spirits stay strong at Standing Rock despite continuing harassment
- US veterans heading to Standing Rock to protect the water protectors
- “Some came with sheets of ice hanging off them” says a doctor at Standing Rock
- Hundreds of Jewish scholars ask us all to mobilize against Trump’s hate speech
- Looking ahead to Winter Solstice
- Brighid Goddess
- Using eggs to do spiritual cleansing (video)
- Prayers at Standing Rock, peaceful protests
- Druidism and politics
- 500 clergy gather to pray at Standing Rock
- Prayers at Standing Rock, peaceful protests
- Christian White Magic?
- Woman creates registry for white men in response to Trump’s registry of Muslims (funny and sad)
- A Gaelic response to the Dakota Pipeline water crisis
- Druids, Deer, and the problem of evil
- A Fairy Fort in County Sligo
- Samhuinn (Halloween) festival in Edinburgh
POLITICS AND ETHICS
- Despite GOP mythology, many American corporations pay little or no taxes
- Flint still has no clean water, three years after lead discovered
- Americans are ignoring the biggest election story: that Putin influenced the outcome to favor Trump
- Trump not interested in intelligence briefings; leaves that to Pence
- Veterans are self-deploying to protect the Standing Rock protestors
- After a month of conflict the mass media finally arrives to document Standing Rock
- The Indian Wars are not over, they never were
- Hate, harassment surge after Trump’s “victory”
- Meet Mike Pence. His views on sex could set us back 2000 years
- One scenario that could still give HRC the Whitehouse
- Senator Al Franken asks Dept of Justice to protect safety, rights of water protectors in Dakota Pipeline protests
- KKK rally to celebrate Trump planned for December 3
- If you voted for Trump because he is anti-establishment you got conned
- Trump wants to continue holding “campaign style” rallies (this is a huge red flag of Fascism – he basically wants to energize his storm troopers)
- Trump’s cabinet of horrors takes shape
- Bernie Sanders vows to oppose Trump’s agenda
- Michael Moore calls for Democratic party takeover
- Anti-Trump demonstrations swell after the election (thank goodness. We haven’t seen this since the Vietnam era!)
- Why we have the electoral college (sexism and slavery)
- How to eliminate the electoral college by 2020
- Trump will be president (unless he is convicted for fraud in a month or so) Here is what we can do next
- A million woman march is planned for Inauguration Day in DC
- Dakota access co. ignores Obama and goes ahead with pipeline construction
- The election of 2016 is an American tragedy
- Why we have the Electoral College (its uglier than you think)
- Trump’s 100 day plan (read it and weep)
- Progressives who won down ballot
- A British take on the American election
- Why Russia backs Trump
- Before Hillary is even elected Republicans already vowing to block all of her Supreme Court nominees
- The UN weighs in on the Dakota pipeline as a human rights violation
- Harry Reid speaks on the DAPL pipeline (video)
- Paul Ryan announces plan to phase out Medicare using vouchers
- First Muslim in Congress tapped to head the DNC
- Author of the most racist law in America named to Trump’s transition team
- Bill Maher on what we do now
- There should be no normalizing of Trump, keep up your guard
- Trump’s stand on abortion is a grave threat to women
- Women are mobilizing: huge march on DC planned for January 21
- Bannon’s global agenda for Breitbart and the alt-right movement
- Gun restrictions seem doomed under a right wing Congress
- Trump wants a registry of Muslims, his backers think internment camps would be a fine idea too
- Lindsey Graham calls for investigation of Russian hacks of the DNC
- No this isn’t normal. Trump and his followers are un-American
- How Trump seeks to control the media
- Blue collar workers need unions, not Trump
- Trump wants armed citizens to be able to open carry in every state, furthering the lunatic American gun cult
- Senator files bill to force Trump to dump his business connections.