It is Thanksgiving Day as I write this and I am very thankful that I don’t have to go to work today. My thoughts and sympathies are with the many folks who are being forced to work just so Americans can shop on what is supposed to be a family holiday, a fact that I find shameful.
Last night we had a big snow storm and heavy wet snow is frosting the trees. An old Birch tree has fallen softly onto the roof, this is the second time I have had a tree do this in recent years, each time they fall very gently as if the Tree Spirits are taking care not to disturb the house.
The gang of wild turkeys that came to the bird feeder every day last winter hasn’t shown up yet – maybe it’s because I have been seeing large grey coy-wolves about at night. The huge possum that was methodically tearing up the yard looking for grubs seems to have disappeared as well.
The news is full of yet another murder of an un-armed black teenager, sentenced to death by a policeman for stealing cigarettes. Apparently the jurors investigating the case for the grand jury were handed an old Missouri law that was declared unconstitutional many years ago for guidance. The law stated that a policeman had the right to pursue a suspect and kill them, making the officer judge and jury.
The jurors must have been heavily influenced by this law as they declared the officer completely innocent of all charges. I can only hope that this travesty of justice will make the police officers exoneration invalid or at least get the lawyer who did this disbarred (see this link for the details)
All this makes me wonder what is being exposed here, about the American psyche. The murder of an unarmed black man by a gun wielding white man is nothing new in this society. George Zimmerman was a thuggish lout who chose to stalk Treyvon Martin, even when the police dispatcher asked him not to, shot Martin to death, and then a jury declared Zimmerman the innocent victim. Treyvon who was walking home armed with nothing but Skittles and iced tea was deemed the perpetrator.
More recently, officer Wilson explained that Michael Brown was a “Demon” as large as Hulk Hogan (Wilson is six foot four and Brown was six foot six) and so far, after chasing the unarmed Brown down and then shooting him multiple times until he killed him, has been deemed innocent.
Why are these white men with guns so frightened of blacks that they have to shoot and kill them even when they are unarmed? I am starting to think there is a suppressed memory of the racial injustice emerging that this country has been denying for centuries. I believe that these white men with their guns are afraid that people of color will rise up and seek justice. That projected fear makes the black man appear larger than life to these puny frightened little men with guns.
We obviously need to de-militarize the police, somehow get guns off the streets and out of our homes, and train the police to disable a person (especially when they are unarmed) rather than shoot them to death. Until America does this we are still stuck in the primitive, violent lawlessness of the Wild West.
Tomorrow I will be joining a Black Friday protest at the local Wal-Mart. That’s how I will spend my extra day off.
The owners of Wal-Mart are the richest family in America, yet they insist on keeping wages and benefits at abysmal levels, dragging the rest of the country down (they are the largest retailer in the world), and counting on tax payers to provide food stamps and health care for their workers, just so to survive.
- Sirius Community Health Fair
December 7, 2014 @ 10:00 am – 5:30 pm
72 Baker Road
Shutesbury, MA 01072
(near Amherst, MA)
I will be doing a Tree slide show and talk at about 3 pm.
NEWS FROM IRELAND
- Tara is threatened once again and needs everyone’s help.
Tara Preservation. Help Save Our Heritage!
We need your help!After the destruction wrought by the M3 Motorway through the Tara Skryne Valley County Meath Ireland, a unique and archaeologically sensitive landscape at the foot of the world famous Hill of Tara, new threats are beginning to emerge which could destroy what’s left!Our crowd funding aim is to raise money to support public awareness raising initiatives, to launch objections to inappropriate planning applications, and to fund the inevitable legal challenges which we foresee necessary in order to protect the Tara Skryne Valley from developers.
*Reminder – you can order signed books from this website!*
Below is the last Moonth’s archeology, nature, herbal, religion and ethics news. Enjoy!
- Build a Celtic roundhouse
- A Welsh house
- Our ancestors preferred mammoth to reindeer meat
- A 5500 year old hand axe
- An unknown Roman God of vegetation/fertility found
- How the Celts saved Britain (video)
- A Bronze Age dagger that was an offering to the Gods
- Lake burials in Mesolithic Sweden
- Celtic jewelry boxes
- A coin hoard and torc found in Jersey
- The true story of the Swastika (video)
- An ancient church where the rivers meet
- The case for Jesus’ wife
- Ancient oaks being re-planted in Ireland
- An ancient Egyptian magical treatise deciphered
- Ancient American moccasins
- Ancient birth control
- Can woolly mammoths be cloned? (soon we will need to clone elephants, too)
- The economic collapse between the Bronze and Iron ages in Ireland
- An Anglo-Saxon burial
- Chauvet cave video
- Hallstatt textiles
- Reed basket exposed in Scotland
- A Scottish peat bog and pollen analysis
- Native Americans have West Eurasian ancestry, DNA shows
- The Ness of Brodgar
- A Viking hoard from Scotland
- Oaks in European history
- 5000 year old carved shapes from Scotland
- Celtic scripts
- Early Native American child burials
- A hoard of Iron Age coins found in Jersey
- The Neanderthal genome is unraveled
- An ancient animal from Gondwanaland
- The stones of Carnac
- A fabulous article about acorns and Old European culture
- The original name for Stonehenge possibly revealed
- The oldest crown ever found
- Secrets of the Viking sword (video)
- Ancient Irish art
- How King James I was protected against Witches
- A Viking Chieftain’s burial
- Some plundered Celt-Iberian art
- 8000 year old artefacts found at Stonehenge
- Professor Roibeard Ó Maolalaigh of the University of Glasgow, Director of DASG (Dachaigh airson Stòras na Gàidhlig), sends news about the launch of this Scottish Gaelic website
Please note that the site is now available free of charge and without the need for passwords, etc.
- The “Norn” language of the Western Isles of Scotland
- Why do bees build hexagonal honeycomb?
- Whales and dolphins interact (video)
- The Spirit Bear (video)
- The centipede genome has been sequenced
- Plant intelligence (video)
- The universe is a Vortex (video)
- How to properly place bird feeders
- A foraged feast (why do I get the sense that wild food foraging is now a fad?)
- Five poisonous berries to avoid
- This is why I always tell my students to collect 1000 feet from a roadway.
- Why wheat is toxic (it’s not what you think)
- Maude Grieve –a foremother of modern Herbalism
- Antibiotic mushrooms
- Make an acorn cake!
- Make acorn bread (video)
- How to process hickory nuts
- Harvesting seaweed
- Golden Honey for colds
- Foods to eat when you are sick
- A re-imagining of ancient Celtic verse and music
- The Celt-Iberians
- An examination of the three Brighids
- Morgan Le Fey explored
- A Wiccan delivers the opening prayer and the city did not fall
- A remarkably ill-informed article about Witches in The Times (according to the piece, Witchcraft saw a rebirth only after 9/11. What?)
POLITICS AND ETHICS
- GOP sues Obama over Romneycare
- Myths about minimum wage
- GOP admits : There was no Benghazi conspiracy. Obama did not lie. Etc. They must feel so embarrassed.
- What Big Oil has in mind if Keystone Fails
- Ten tar sands oil (and gas) pipelines you have never heard of
- The Lakota Nation “The Keystone pipeline is an act of war”.
- Here is what the GOP promises to do with their “mandate” (even though only 36% of Americans bothered to vote at all)
- GOP plans to slash Medicare, Food Stamps
- Ted Cruz on net neutrality (he is clearly ill-informed)
- Elizabeth Warren’s next target: Walmart
- Target employees threatened with termination for requesting Thanksgiving off
- Elizabeth Warren on trickle down economics